Works included the widening of the motorway, both outer shoulders and median, realign the vertical alignment while carrying 140,000 vehicles per day, relocating and up-grading of the on and off ramps, service roads, new construction of the six lane Loganlea Rd Overpass and intersections with Winnetts Rd and Loganlea Rd and the Western Service Rd and demolition of the existing Loganlea Rd Overpass (during peak this overpass and adjacent intersections carry 2,400 vehicles per hour).
Pacific Motorway Upgrade – Springwood South to Daisy Hill included;
- construct new bridge structures over six lanes of Motorway traffic (140,000vpd),
- demolish the existing Loganlea Road bridge over the Motorway without impact on the motorway traffic,
- undertake the staged construction of the Motorway On-ramp cut and cover underpass,
- construct the Motorway Off-ramp bridge over the V1 Veloway,
- construction of 18 no. retaining walls approx. 2.2km long, varying in height from 0.7m to 9.1m of varying types (cast insitu, RSS, contiguous piled with pattern concrete facing panels). Foundation pile diameters varied (600, 900,1200 and 1500 diameter) and depths varied from 4.5m to 28m depending on load conditions and exiting ground conditions.
- excavate and dispose of 300,000 cu m of material utilising controlled entrances and exits from the site,
- design and construct side tracks to enable construction of permanent works on the correct alignment,
- undertake successful pavement overlay operations at night (approx. 159,000t) along the 3.3km section of the Motorway,
- undertake pavement rehabilitation work by removing and replacing the existing asphalt. This remove and replacement of 400mm of asphalt pavement had to be completed under nightly lane closures and had to be completed by 4.00am in the morning to carry the morning peak traffic flow. This was achieved by milling out the existing pavement 400mm deep and replacing with special low heat asphalt so that the 400mm deep section of new asphalt was stable for the travelling public to traverse a few hours later.
- Manage the innovation of realignment and replacement of PUP assets and services in such a manner to save four months on our programme and an amount of $0.5M+ through this innovation.